Sunday, December 16, 2007

Do I have anything to say?

Everyone is blogging these days. I've become quite the blog reader, thanks to Mel, my daughter. First it was just her blog... what a great way to catch a glimpse of her life -- and those of my amazing grandchildren. It's so hard to be far away and feel like I don't know them... but the blog gives me insight I would never have had. So I've been loving it since she started blogging; her posts don't ever come often enough (twice a day with pictures might do it, Mel). Then I started reading other blogs. Following links from her blog. And links from those blogs. And so on. There are some pretty amazing people doing pretty amazing things while living every day lives.

I have no illusion that I am anywhere near amazing, or doing anything other than living an every day life, but I still have lots of reasons for starting this new effort. For a couple of years I kept a memory journal. Not recording the current day so that I could remember it, but recording memories... whatever happened to come to mind on any day when I had a minute or two to write it down. That notebook is probably still around here somewhere, but it's been very very long since I've written in it. Sitting down with a pen and notebook and taking all the time needed to scribble out some thoughts just doesn't fit with my life today. But grabbing my laptop and typing up a storm does. And there are so many memories that should be preserved. My dad and mom (aka Gram and Grampie), my big sis Chris, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and the cottage, glamorous Aunt Honey, little nephews and niece and a daughter and a son, snowy days and sunny days and... well, you get the picture.

Another thing? Many of those memories come along with a recipe. Seriously, I was raised by the best (and most detail oriented, perfecting and dedicated) baker in the universe and surrounded by perfect Polish delights from birth. Where are those recipes? There never were any written to start with. But through the years, some got written down. Maybe there are cousins or cousins-cousins with some of them to share -- I'll put 'em out there as I think of them or as I'm reminded by someone else.

And? Just now... at 6:03 pm, I got an email -- This is what it said:

"God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go. "

How 'bout that. Here's to not letting go!

1 comment:

melanie said...

yea, Mom! You rock! I think there are lots of things that I write on my blog that I might not say otherwise. I'm looking forward to reading those thoughts from you :)