Friday, May 2, 2008

Home / Work?

I have the best benefit imaginable in my job. I get to work from home. Now let me tell you that working from home does have its downsides...I'm sure it does...I uh..ok, I just can't think of any now. Wait...you have to make your own coffee..I don't get to drive by my favorite field on the way to work. But there is nothing quite like rolling out of bed and booting the computer while pouring a cup of coffee, getting to work at 6:30 am after sleeping in until 6:25, reading and responding to email before others even hit the office door. Accomplishing things in half the time it would take in the office. No interruptions, nophones, no annoying office mates playing music or using the speaker phone while you are trying to concentrate. Twice the work in half the time, my personal feeling..

And then of course there are the 'invisible' (thank goodness) benefits. Hair untouched by comb (and for those of you have seen me just out of bed in the am, you know that should remain unseen). Jammies (my personal favorite work clothes have something to do with red flannel and polar bears). Unbrushed teeth (that may be too much information, but no one is around except Maze and his breath is way worse than mine, so as long as I fix this unshowered unbrushed situation before anyone gets home, it will all be ok).

I 'went' to a meeting today, dialed in on my cell phone, headset on, hands free and phone muted. While listening, I was able to have a short conversation with Chelsea and do my nails. If I had wanted, because of the fabulous i-phone, I could have read my personal email, surfed the web or texted Don at the same time. I, of course, was much too dedicated to the meeting to do those things. It is, after all, a work day.

OK, lunch break is over. Time for a pedicure...I mean another meeting.

No comments: