Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mr. Obama... just exactly what are you saying?

I've finally come across something that makes me have to talk about politics.. I mean, no skirting the issue, dead on politics. It was July 2, 2008 (you have to wonder why a semi news junky like me is just becoming aware of this) The speech was supposed to be about volunteerism and new social programs that will promote the common good. Then the candidate went off the prepared speech. Here's the quote:

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." (emphasis added)

Umm... What? a civilian security force? Just what does that mean? And what are they going to make secure? My neighborhood? Football games? National security objectives we've set? We've been attack free since 2001, so what other objectives do "we" have? Seriously..why do we need a highly funded powerful group of civilians? Does that mean they are armed? WHAT are they doing? I just can't figure it out. Or maybe I'm afraid to try.

No comments: