Monday, April 7, 2008

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

When you are at a decision point in your life, what do you do? There are small decision points (should I take the highway or the country road home from work?) and there are huge decision points (should I get married and move to a small town in south central PA or should I stay single in the city?)

Small decisions... decide on a whim.."I'm in the right lane, I guess I'll take the highway"..It's a warm sunny day, "I think I'll take the country road and open the sun roof"

And big decisions..well that particular one didn't take much decision... I just knew.

But it's the ones between that are tough. I had a decision to make about my job. There were two opportunities available, both equally challenging, both at the same salary, both with the same company I work for now. But both very different. The path would go in quite different directions. So how do you make that kind of a decision?

I was drawn, by my feelings, to both. One seemed safer, one seemed more interesting. I made a list and wrote pros and cons... One got many more +'s than -'s. But somehow it still felt even. I prayed. Felt a draw toward one, but tried to reason through. Sometimes you can't reason. Sometimes lists aren't the answer. Sometimes you have to go where you feel led. And will that make all the difference? I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: