Tuesday, April 1, 2008

To Do...or is it a Wish List??

We've been talking a lot about home improvements. We have a goal to get out of debt, and that goal (except the house...) is in sight, so now we are talking about what we need to do around here, both for our comfort and for potential resale in the next couple or few years. So, being a list person, I have trouble 'getting my arms around' (as the consultants say) what 'it' is until I turn it into a list. So here goes, in order of thought... including the wish part:

Fix the garage door: we are on to this one. We actually have the name of someone who was recommended by a friend and who will do it. ...Just haven't called him yet.

New closet doors. I HATE our sliding doors. So much that I took them off the closet in the guest room/office. I couldn't see my clothes... I'll move mountains when I am frustrated.

Bathrooms. definitely bathrooms. We need a new tub/tile in the main bathroom. And a new shower in the master bath. And a paint job. And new floors. Did I mention the cabinetry? mmhmm..

Deck: By next year, no choice or we will be falling thru to the ground. For this year...paint. Oh yeah...and the hot tub..(in case you couldn't tell, that is the wish part)

Sliding door to deck: either that or time to lift weights to build up the muscles it takes to open it.

Interior doors: It will be hard to let the cheap hollow doors go, but if we get to this one, I'll force myself. Oh..and I think we'll need to do something about the wood trim too.

Carpet / hardwood floors: The kitchen floor is good to keep... that's about it, full rehaul in order

So here is my newest idea. Don't know if it's possible, but I really think another 1/2 bath would be huge for resale. Not to mention just having a main floor bath. So we are trying to figure out if we could put a little bitty 1/2 bath in where our coat closet currently is. I actually got in the closet today to see if it seemed reasonable. I don't think it does. But that doesn't stop me...what is that on the other side of that wall??? Something tells me we'll find out sometime soon.

So let's go back to the debt free thing. Yes, we are committed. Co-chairs of the Dave Ramsey fan club!! We'll be saving up and paying cash for each and every one of these. And we'll be done by... well... ummmm....

No comments: