Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Great Isn't Good Enough

I guess I finally live here. I've given up the last remnant of home being Pittsburgh. Or have I?

There are necessities...

A good haircut...the most frequent need and the first, and most difficult, as it turned out, to transplant. The whole thing was a fiasco. First I called the local 'Salon and Day Spa'. Everyone said it was a great place and I would be very happy with the results. I called and said that I wanted someone very experienced. With my curls, ending up looking like RoseAnn Rosannadanna is not too far fetched. They promised she was one of the most experienced. I went. I was cut. Deep. And hard. Well, maybe once I do it myself, I thought. I approached the desk and was quoted an unbelievably low price. Wow. Things sure are different from the big city. No, she tells me, that's the price for a junior stylist. WHAT??? The next week I went to Pittsburgh and got it fixed.

So I called another place, also highly recommended. I made the appointment for later in the week (already nervous because I could get an appointment later in the week). Didn't I have to make the appointment 6 weeks ahead to get an appointment with Tim in Pittsburgh? So the day rolls around and I'm getting ready to head out of work and off to my fate. I notice a voicemail message on my cell phone. "Uh yeah, Laurie. Uh this is (fictional name) from (fictional name). Yeah, you have an appointment tonight at 5:00...(I notice the message was left at 2). Uh, yeah, can you come in Saturday at 9? Yeah, my appointment before you cancelled, so I can go home early, so, uh, yeah, so uh, just call to confirm, Laurie. Byeee" Can you say fingernails on a chalk board? No.. I don't think I'll be calling. Off I go to Pittsburgh and Tim.

Eventually I found someone here and, while it's not Tim and there is no miniature greyhound wandering around the salon or jumping up on my lap, still the cut works and they use Aveda products.

Pedicure..no sweat. Found a place, loved it. Easy as that.

Facial...ok, I have never had as good a facial as the one I had here a couple weeks ago (thanks to Don's Christmas gift card). I'm a convert.

The final stronghold.

The massage.

I've been holding out. I admit that I know that I am completely, totally and absolutely spoiled. I do without. I call Heather if there is even the hope of a business trip. Time goes by... I just can't bring myself to go anywhere else.

I used to love the spa thing. Relaxing, Smells good. Nice gentle, soft... A wonderful experience. But that won't do any longer.

So, yesterday I went to the dentist. I was a little stressed by the two teeth to fix prospect. I tensed up. Apparently quite a lot because I have a lump the size of the rope used to tie off Eric's boat running down the left side of the back of my neck.

So I call the person who had been researched and recommended. She has an opening, so its arranged...I arrive.. the location is very pleasant--Heather-like, I think. Maybe not so bad.... I fill out the initial health history form (a good sign, I think). I enter the room, I see the rocks heating... I have every hope.. and... I get a really great massage. She hits the hot points, works the muscle deeper and deeper, I even feel the knot begin to dissolve.

A great massage.

But you know what?

Great just isn't good enough... I am so spoiled. I wonder when I can get to Pittsburgh...

1 comment:

melanie said...

I'm still looking for a good hairstylist (9 years later). And yes, you are spoiled. And finally, no, Cameron has never heard that sound. And he never will.